Tofu Pot Pie
From The Kitchen Of: The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook. This tofu pot pie is infused with the flavors of the vegatables and spices. Baked with a flaky pie crust and topped with creamy vegan golden gravy.
Author: Deb Harrell, ND
- For Pie:
- ¼ cup whole wheat pastry or millet flour
- 1 TBS nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups tofu, cut in ½ inch cubes
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 1 cup onions, cut in wedges
- ½ cup celery, sliced
- Other vegetables, such as carrots, corn, fresh or frozen peas, or green beans
- For Golden Gravy:
- ⅓ cup millet or whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 TBS tamari
- Prepare Pie:
- Combine flour, yeast flakes, sea salt, and garlic powder in a small bowl
- Add tofu and stir to coat
- Heat a skillet and saute tofu in coconut oil until lightly browned
- Add onions and celery to pan
- When onions are soft, add other vegetables
- Prepare Golden Gravy:
- Toast the flour over medium heat until you start to smell it.
- Stir in yeast, and then add oil.
- Cook a few mins until bubbly, then add water & cook, whisking until it thickens & bubbles.
- Add tamari, salt & pepper to taste.
- Add to tofu/veggie mix.
- Place filling in a casserole and top with your choice of pastry crust or mashed potatoes.